Saturday, January 24, 2009

My first grape harvest in Burgundy 1

I was in France to participate in the vendanges ( grape harvest ) at my friends garden vineyards in the month of October 2008. My Friend Dr Bruno Monange is a medical doctor and passionate winelover who also makes wine as a hobby. He lives in Remilly en Montagne, a small village on the hills about 30 mts drive from Dijon. He has a small vineyard at the side of his beautiful house.

He had invited his family and friends to help him harvest the grapes which is an annual affair anytime from mid september to mid october depending upon the weather forecast. The only difference this time was an indian participating with the group to get the feel of the actual vendange. I have seen people picking the grapes and the procedures involved at the vendanges during my earliar visits to vineyards in Vouvray, Montlouis, Chinon and Bourgueil in the Loire valley region and in vineyards in Alsace region of France. But this was the first time i got myself involved in the process. I went to the small garden vineyard dressed in smart casuals and my shinning black shoes. Bruno smiled at me and requested me to quickly go and change my dress as i was not properly dressed for the occasion. He also gave one of his thick knee length boots. Back to the vineyard after having changed my shirt and with those thick knee length boots, i was in to action. I picked up a small harvest basket and a grape pruning scissor and started cutting the bunches of grapes with a little help from Bruno at the start.
...to be continued...

No comments: